Sunday, October 2, 2011

Where did our love go?

Hello. Hello!

Love=blog...by the way.

Personal post time! Senior year is different. The work isn't harder, it isn't easier, either, but there's this big, sharp, shiny axe swinging over our heads like one of those oh-so-easily escapable scenes from a James Bond movie. In less than a month, early apps are due. In less than two months, state university apps are due. In three months or so, everything else is due. This is serious business. We can't just bullshit our way to an A, this is college! This is madness. But we haven't gone Spartan. Yet.

Ooh, every time I come up with what would be a killer ending line, like the last one, I have more to say.

My desk is buried under envelopes and flyers and brochures and postcards and..nail clippers. The last thing aside, the whole college thing is chomping down on my life.

I go to sleep. Dream. I get into my top school! Wake up deliriously happy and then...crash. Nope. I go to sleep. Dream. I get rejected from my top school! And a lot of other places. Wake up in despair, gasping and then...oh. Still too early for that one.

What happened to dreams of archeological digs and underground treasure hunts, etcetera. They were a bit random, but they were cool! This current situation is rather annoying.

And then! The college essay thing. Or rather, the [37] college essay[s] thing. Everything is viewed through that lens. "Ooh, this lisptick doesn't match my eyebrows! Could I possibly extrapolate this into some symbolic brilliant essay?" or "Ooh, I brushed my teeth! Let's examine these intricacies" or "Ooh I met Al Gore in third grade at Samy's Camera. Story time!" I'm not dragging on anyone's potential essay. Some people have the gift of taking something mundane or seemingly insignificant and transforming it into brilliance. I, for one, need to be in a strange mood at a strange time to write well without wanting to tear my hair out. I don't know what my final essay[s] will definitely be on. I may need to bite my tongue.

The other thing is, it is extremely inconvenient to have a birthday in October this year. Or at least, it is extremely inconvenient to have a birthday in October this year if you are me.

This is my last birthday in high school [it's on Tuesday if you, ahem, were wondering] and though I am only turning 17, NOT 18, I wanted it to be special! I wanted to have a proper, return-to-somehow-epic "party" [I use that term in the loosest sense] with a guest list that would read something like "eh forget it, let's just invite 'em." But. My lack of prior planning has led to absolutely zero plans, two days away from my actual birthday. And all the Saturdays this month are wonky. Plus, everyone's frantically trying to finish their early apps. Boohoo.

In retrospect, this post seems like one looooong whiiiiine. But do not interpret it so! This is just a not-so-soothing meditation on the process. I'm excited for the future. Browsing websites for programs is actually really fun, because if I get in, I have a loooot to look forward to. Just realized that could be read as "loot." Ha.

The bit about my birthday might have been whining, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved everything about this post except for how long it took you to write it. Well, you probably wrote it in thirty minutes, but you know what I mean. Why did it take a few months for you to update your blog?? Update more frequently, please.

Now that I've said that...You can do it Mallika! Work work work work work! Get those essays done! Squeeze every last drop of your [almost] seventeen years of brilliance and insanity into those essays!

love yaa :)

Anonymous said...

Don't, umm, Mal over it too much.

Anonymous said...

So I will leave myself as Anonymous for this but I think it's pretty obvious who it is. (Yay Italy!)
Anyways I feel the pain of the evil college application process which we should be thankful for the fact that its all electronic now and common app exists (think of the days before technology), but its still EVILLLLLLL! The good thing is that most of us are in that position and maybe having your birthday in October isn't so bad because you can have some relax time and excitement in the middle of this hellish process!
Don't let your dreams/nightmares consume you because I'm sure you'll do really well. You're one of the smartest people I know and think about it, in like a decade you'll look back at this time and say "why did I stress out so much?" because everything will turn out right.
Be happy since it is your birthday month!! Don't let these messed up college apps ruin YOUR month. I love you!!!!!! <3 FIGHT ON!!!!!!

mallika said...

Anonymous I: of course!! this is brilliant, thank you.

Anonymous II: I know who you are! And you are very clever haha

Anonymous III: lololololol you type like you speak. thank you though!