Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Smackdown I

First in a series!

If you don't want to be smacked in the face, DON'T...

refer to:

Calcutta as Kolkata
I don't care if Kolkata is Calcutta's "true" name, it was Calcutta for a long time [during the formation of the country!] and frankly, the government of West Bengal has better things to do than change the name of my favourite city.

Bombay as Mumbai
This is just my opinion, feel free to contradict me if you possess an Indian birth certificate [which I don't], though I doubt I'd believe you, but no true Indian refers to Bombay as Mumbai. It's the city's true, pc name, thus you'll see it in international publications, but "Bombay" is probably so ingrained that you don't find most people calling it "Mumbai," unless they're American-born Indian brats who think they know a lot about their culture and have been to India maybe once in their life [the latter condition excludes me :D , I know what you were thinking]or crazy Shiv Sena fanatics. But find me a sane Shiv Sena fanatic. Or find me a sane Shiv Sena member. Once again, I apologize if I'm being extremely ignorant.





More to come.

No comments: